Monday, February 2, 2009

Thing 3

In my first experiment with blog search engines, I compared Technorati with icerocket.com. I liked the layout of the Technorati site better than icerocket.com, but didn't notice huge differences in the types of results I found, only that they were individually different from each other. I looked for various things, such as "Obama white house," plain "white house," and "inauguration" in an effort to find non-political information on the new first family's transition (I know, I know, it's the stuff of Entertainment Tonight, but I do watch the actual news, too). Though I didn't really find what I wanted with any of the search terms, it seemed the more specific my search ("Obama white house"), the more relevant the results were. Seldom did the results have words that matched my terms in their headlines, though they were (not always) in the blog somewhere. Icerocket.com did have a "preferences" page that Technorati did not, but their search options seemed pretty similar. Something I was surprised about was the fact that a lot of the results in both search engines were links to online newspaper articles, not blogs... I suppose if they contain relevant information...

No comments:

Post a Comment