Monday, February 9, 2009

Thing 5

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2081/1826710591_2e82f804d0_d.jpg

So there's more to Flickr than I had imagined... I started by clicking on the "popular" tags lists, but that didn't interest me, so I moved on to the "world map." After an unsuccessful attempt at clicking on the peninsula of Florida, I decided to type in my hometown of Cross Creek, FL. I knew I'd find something I was quite familiar with... other people have been to the places I frequented on a regular basis and been compelled to capture them in pictures. I couldn't resist blogging about this picture of turnips in the garden at the Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings State Historic Site, where my father is a tour guide (I was almost hoping to find a picture of him). I once spent part of an afternoon digging up turnips like these in this very garden, but that's another story. I actually kind of enjoyed the sensation of digging my hands into the earth and pulling out the very food I would later eat (especially the red potatoes...to this day I have a soft spot for red potatoes because of that experience).

I liked what the Clemens and Alcuin libraries did with their photos. It's more intresting than simply looking at a library catalog because you can see how the books actually look in the library. I don't use a photo hosting service, and I don't foresee using one in the near future, though I do have some photos on facebook. I feel slightly uneasy about having photos public... there's always that fear of unwanted attention. If you don't make your photos public, on the other hand, you might miss out on welcome comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment